Alvarado Parkway Institute
Systems Engineer — November 2021 to Current
Systems Administrator — November 2018 to November 2021
Manage Microsoft Azure Cloud infrastructure of over 30 virtual machines, storage accounts, app services, and virtual desktops. Manage high-availability VMware server cluster with over 40 Windows and Linux servers. Maintain Microsoft Windows server Active Directory, Office 365, and desktop infrastructure for 400+ users. Manage network infrastructure. Maintain security and connectivity between four sites using Fortigate firewalls/routers, Fortiswitches, and FortiAP Wi-Fi access points. Implement and maintain Help Desk ticketing system and respond to elevated issues in coordination with L1 and L2 techs
- Migrated over 400 users from aging Exchange 2007 server to Microsoft Office 365 resulting in increased user productivity and vastly improved security.
- Migrated majority of on-premise server infrastructure to Azure Cloud enhancing uptime and allowing for growth and flexibility. Designed and implemented connectivity solution using Express Route connectivity and BGP routing to ensure responsiveness to business needs.
- Created and implemented a plan to upgrade the entire networking stack throughout the organization. Replaced different vendor solutions with a unified Fortinet-based solutions, increasing networking speeds throughout the organization, improving security, and simplifying administration.
- Rebuilt Veeam and Azure backup infrastructure with a focus on business continuity, disaster recovery, and resilience to potential ransomware attempts. Ensured critical data would survive failure of multiple datacenters.
- Implemented org-wide training effort on computer and email security.Worked with 3rd-party vendors to develop phishing simulation and training.
- Developed custom scripting solutions using PowerShell to streamline processes including employee management, custom reporting requirements to government agencies, and maintenance of user data. Developed custom Bash scripting solution to OCR hundreds of thousands of pages of documents.
- Designed and implemented Docker swarm cluster to host internal and external web-based services. Implemented services such as an internal Wiki, Device Management System, Network Documentation software, and more.
Owner / Principal IT Consultant — August 2015 to June 2019
Configured and monitored computer systems, software, and networks as Managed Service Provider (MSP) for small business clients. Developed web pages and managed WordPress web sites for multiple organizations.
- Set up a disaster recovery plan and backup systems (Datto BDR) for a client with stringent data protection and uptime requirements.
- Migrated client from a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory environment to a virtualized Windows Server 2016 infrastructure resulting in faster performance.
- Created NIST SP 800-171 compliance plan allowing continued government contracts and the protection of CUI. Developed training programs for end users on computer security. Developed configuration management guidelines.
- Designed a modern, responsive WordPress-based web site for a non-profit. Migrated to a high availability web server resulting in dramatically reduced down-time and increased speed.
First Class Packaging
General Manager — April 2012 to July 2015
Managed up to 30 employees in six different business groups from manufacturing to customer service. Managed IT systems and services including Hyper-V server infrastructure, ERP system, Accounting software, and CNC machines. Managed HR policies and procedures. Acted as quality manager for ISO 9001:2008 certification activities.
- Grew company revenue 100% and dramatically increased profit margins by improving worker productivity, setting goals, simplifying processes, and increasing efficiency.
- Developed custom Access database with SQL backend for creation of customer quotes resulting in increased estimator productivity and response time to RFQs.